Main | Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Reminder

This morning, at 3:46AM, I was awakened by the sound of a jet engine. A plane was roaring across Manhattan at a low altitude. Jumbo jet? Fighter jet? I laid there in the dark wondering. At 3:47AM, the sound was trailing off and I became aware that my heart was beating a little bit fast. I got out of bed and went to my window. Peering up into the little corner of the sky afforded me by the buildings that enclose mine, I could see nothing. Nothing, that is, except the shadowy figures of a half-dozen neighbors, also standing in their bedroom windows, also looking to the sky. I guess it's never really going to be over, is it?

UPDATE: A coworker just pointed out that today is the opening day for United 93 in NYC and that we've all been seeing a lot of local press coverage of the opening. Now I have to wonder if that wasn't in my subconscious this morning, as I've been debating whether I want to see the movie.

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home