Main | Tuesday, July 17, 2007

And We Laughed

My good friend Jerry is staying with me for a week while he's here for work. We've been pals since the late 80's. Tonight he came home from a long day of meetings and noticed my passport sitting out.

"Oh, where are you going?"

"I just need a renewal. I've been meaning to do it forever. It's been expired for a couple of years."

Jerry sat down and flipped through the passport. "Wow, old picture. I remember that haircut."

We laughed. Then he turned to the first page. "Wait, was this the first time we did London?"

"Yup."

"That was a crazy trip." He looked up and cocked his head, saying, "Who all was on that trip?"

"Me, you. And three dead guys."

And we laughed. Does that seem strange? We invoked the memory of three friends who died over a decade ago....and we laughed. I've noticed that a lot of guys our age have a black, macabre sense of humor about AIDS sometimes. You kind of have to. Sometimes.
.

Labels: ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home