Main | Wednesday, December 05, 2007

More On "Intent" Crimes

The NYPD is conducting a subway sting called "Operation Lucky Bag" in which undercover cops plant bags and wallets containing credit cards,, then wait around to see who picks them up. Unlucky Samaritans who pick up the bags with the intent on contacting their owners are detained, frisked, and their criminal backgrounds are checked.

If I found a wallet on the subway, I certainly wouldn't turn it in to a station agent, I'd take it home and find the owner myself - something that someone once did for me when I left a satchel of office documents on the Times Square shuttle. If the cops humiliated me with a public frisking, as happened to the man in the above-linked story, I fear that my reaction would make the situation much, much worse.

The ACLU is calling for the NYPD to end Operation Lucky Bag. The cops say that anyone they believe has the intent to steal the items can be charged with an Class-E felony, punishable by up to four years in prison. What a world we've created.
.

Labels: , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home