- The screenplay for Hairspray 2 will be written by John Waters. "Also set to return are director/choreographer Adam Shankman, the song-writing team of Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, and producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron." The first Hairspray: The Musical grossed over $200M and the sequel is set to open in July 2010. But somebody also thought Grease 2 was a good idea.
- A filmed performance of Rent will hit movie theaters in late September shortly after the show closes its Broadway run. The release is part of a new digital distribution network of live shows called "The Hot Ticket."
- The musical Robin And The Seven Hoods will play Broadway during the '09-10' season. The show is based on the 1964 rat pack movie of the same name.
- Shubert Theater head Phillip Smith was granted a divorce from his wife Tricia "YouTube" Walsh, after the judge blasted her posting of videos mocking her ex-husband's sexual prowess. Walsh will get a pittance of her ex's wealth as per a prenuptial agreement.
- Two time Oscar winner Emma Thompson will co-write the screenplay for a remake of My Fair Lady. Keira Knightly is in talks to play Eliza. Wouldn't it be grisly? The original opened on Broadway in 1956 and ran for six years, winning nine Tonys.
- Bizarre: Somebody broke into the warehouse storing props for Off Broadway's Gazillion Bubble Show and stole 3.4 tons of bubble liquid. Somehow, the show will gurgle on.
Labels: Broadway Friday