Main | Sunday, August 29, 2010

MEHLMAN REDUX: FL Gov. Charlie "Closet Case" Crist Supports A Federal Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment

THIS POST IS UPDATED.
In a transparent ploy to appeal to the teabaggers backing his GOP Senate opponent Marco Rubio, Florida Gov. Charlie "Closet Case" Crist today told CNN that he supports amending the U.S. Constitution to ban same-sex marriage.
“When it comes to marriage, I think it is a sacred institution, I believe it is between a man and a woman,” Crist said, “but partners living together, you know, I don’t have a problem with it.” “It’s just how I feel,” Crist added. Anti-gay activists have repeatedly pushed Congress to consider a Federal Marriage Amendment, but it has never gathered enough support to pass. The amendment was a central issue in the 2004 presidential election.
Of course, Dubya's mouthpiece on the Federal Marriage Amendment was Quisling Ken Mehlman. Sometime around 2016 we'll see Closet Case Charlie come out a la Mehlman, telling us that he was secretly working from the inside to keep the anti-gay GOP at bay.

UPDATE: Now Closet Case Charlie takes it back.
"In an interview that aired today, I was not discussing an amendment to the U.S. Constitution banning same-sex marriage, which I do not support, but rather reaffirming my position regarding Florida's constitutional ban that I articulated while running for Governor. In fact, the interviewer's question reflected just that. I am fully supportive of civil unions and will continue to be as a United States Senator, but believe marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman."

Labels: , , , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home