Main | Friday, March 04, 2011

MARYLAND: House Marriage Waffler Sam Arora Now Says He'll Vote Yes

Maryland House Delegate Sam Arora, who yesterday caused quite the furor over indications that he was going to vote against the marriage bill he cosponsored, now says he's back on board.
I have heard from constituents, friends, and advocates from across the spectrum of views and have thought about the issue of same-sex marriage extensively. I understand their concern—this is a very serious issue, and one that many people feel passionately about. As the vote drew nearer, I wrestled with this issue in a way I never had before, which led me to realize that I had some concerns about the bill. While I personally believe that Maryland should extend civil rights to same-sex couples through civil unions, I have come to the conclusion that this issue has such impact on the people of Maryland that they should have a direct say. I will vote to send the bill to the floor because it deserves an up-or-down vote. On the floor, I will vote to send the bill to the governor so that Marylanders can ultimately decide this issue at the polls. I think that is appropriate.
Yesterday Arora was accused of deleting a January 25th pro-marriage tweet from his Twitter history as sites like AmericaBlog went ballistic. Looks like the pressure worked.

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home