Main | Thursday, July 26, 2012

Outed Christian Author Jonathan Merritt: Yes, I Had Sex With Azariah Southworth
But I Swear I Am Totally Not Gay!

"In 2009, I was contacted by the blogger [Azariah Southworth] in response to an article I wrote about just that--that Christians must love people who experience sexual brokenness. We corresponded several times by email and text for a couple of weeks, some of them inappropriate. When I was traveling through a city near him, we met for dinner because we'd corresponded so recently. As we were saying goodbye, we had physical contact that went beyond the bounds of friendship. I was overcome with guilt, knowing I had put myself in an unwise situation. We never saw each other again and we ceased contact after a period of time.

"When I returned home, I saw a Christian counselor to address the events in my life and sort through my childhood and what I believed God wanted for me. I also began to acknowledge to myself that I have sin in my past, sin for which I accept responsibility. Inappropriate texting, inappropriate actions are inappropriate no matter who the other party is. These were my decisions and no one else's. It's from my brokenness, that I feel I can now be transparent, honest, and authentic about these accusations. Those close to me know I have actually been planning to share the story of my brokenness for some time. Because it is part of my spiritual journey. And because it underscores the power of the Gospel to transform lives." - Anti-gay Christian author Jonathan Merritt, in an interview just posted to the blog of evangelist Ed Setzer.

RELATED: I guess that special announcement to Daddy's congregation will be old news by the time those pews fill up this Sunday.

Labels: , , , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home