Main | Monday, July 27, 2009

Sign Language

As we usually do, Chris and I ran into road construction on I-81 in the Pennsylvania mountains on the way to Hillside Campground on Friday. We were creeping along at 5mph when two men in a black Audi pulled up next to us and began making strange hand gestures. Chris said, "Are those gang signs? What the hell are they doing?" I looked over and replied, "If my rap video viewing serves me correctly, they are saying 'west coast.' Weird. Since when do middle-aged white guys throw gang signs?" A moment later the men gestured for Chris to roll down his window, after which the passenger shouted, "Hey man, you guys got any WEED?"

Oh. How strange. And why us? When we got to Hillside we noticed that our rental had California plates. Did that somehow mark us as stoners? (Which we aren't, but whatever.) I've been asked about drugs in clubs and on the street, but never in traffic. Until now.

UPDATE: I meant to mention that the Audi had Oregon plates, so the men probably weren't locals.

Labels: , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home