Main | Monday, July 26, 2010

A Little Slice Of Gay Vegas

I didn't get to see much of Las Vegas' gay scene as Netroots pretty much kept us busy day and night. But I did get out to Fun Hog Ranch for a couple of hours, where I saw the first cigarette machine I think I've seen in a gay bar in about 20 years. Nice place, just the sort of dive-y bearish joint I tend to prefer these days. The club was hosting the guys in town for Mr. International Deaf Leather, but since the only ASL I know is "pretty girl," I didn't interact much with the crowd.

We also briefly dropped in at Buffalo (empty at 2am) and Piranha, which was packed, but all laser beams, strobe lights, and explosions. That would have entertained me long ago, but not so much in my dotage. At Fun Hog Ranch I met famed drag performer Kenny Kerr, who was pointed out to me by JMG reader David, a recent Vegas arrival from New York. Kerr and I chatted a bit about the renewed success of RuPaul, which Kerr feels is quite undeserved. To put it mildly. And speaking of RuPaul, on Sunday night I ran into Drag Race winner Tyra Sanchez, who was performing at the Mirage's gay night in their Heaven nightclub. And that's pretty much all of my gay time in Vegas. I promise to provide much more in-depth coverage of Montreal's nightlife this week.

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home